AREA IV REGIONALS – The Midway Lady Chargers fell behind by 17 points and never recovered in falling to No. 2 Lomega 71-37 in the regional championship game.
Midway (21-4) led briefly 2-1 but watched the Lady Raiders (24-6) close out the quarter with a 22-4 run to lead 23-6 after the first quarter.
“We played poorly and they played well,” said Midway coach Spencer Phipps. “We had that brief lead then (Lomega) turned it on.”
Joanna VanBrunt led the Lady Chargers with 10 points. Midway looks to keep its season alive in Kingston at the area tournament when the Lady Chargers face Eagletown at 1:30 p.m. Thursday.
3A AREA III DISTRICTS AT PARK HILL — The host Keys Cougars trailed by two points entering the fourth quarter but outscored Salina 20-7 for the 66-55 win over the Wildcats in Park Hill. Keys (12-11) led 35-32 at the half but were outscored 16-11 in the third quarter to trail 48-46 and the end of the quarter.
Trevor Eubanks led the way for the Cougars with 33 points while Cody Cole added 10 points. Keys now faces Dewey in Adair at 8 p.m. Thursday in the Area III regional semifinals.
In girls action, Keys beat Salina 49-39. The Lady Cougars (11-10) were led by Sydney Rainbolt with 12 points. Keys plays Adair at 6:30 p.m. Thursday in a regional semifinal.
CLASS 2A AREA III DISTRICTS
• At Liberty, the Lady Riders (16-8) captured the district championship, defeating Mounds 59-30.
Hulbert jumped out to a 30-9 halftime lead and was led by Tiffany Thompson with 27 points and Allison Arnall with 15 points. The Lady Riders play Northeast Academy at 6:30 p.m. Thursday at Mounds.
• At Kiefer, the Okay Lady Mustangs (11-13) dropped the district championship against Kiefer losing 66-20. Leading for the Lady Mustangs was Kelsey Walker with 6 points. Okay goes to regional consolation bracket to face the loser of Ketchum and Afton in Foyil at 1:30 p.m. on Thursday.
CLASS 2A AREA IV DISTRICTS
• At Preston, Jacob Richardson’s 52 points weren’t enough for Porter (18-6) which lost the district championship to Preston 90-74/ Brandon Fowler added 12 points. The Pirates move into regional play against the loser of Rattan and Howe Thursday at 3 p.m. in Crowder.
- The 2013 Phoenix Female Athlete of the Year: Randee O’Donnell shot and swung her way to success
- Some questions answered for FGHS in spring game
- TCU rallies to defeat Cowboys
- OU paints Baylor Gray in Big 12 opener
- Two seniors sign NLIs
- Black bears under hunt, on increase
- Outdoor notebook
- OU, OSU, TU in relief effort
- Area college roundup
- Hatbox hosts ATV races
- More Sports Headlines