By Dylan Goforth
Phoenix Staff Writer
WAGONER — The Wagoner County Sheriff’s Department has determined two people found dead last week died as the result of a murder-suicide.
Sheriff Bob Colbert said Tuesday that Kelly Kay Owens, 48, and Curtis Dwayne Owens, 46, were found dead by Kelly Owens’ father, Matthew Tierney.
Their bodies were discovered Thursday morning in the bedroom of their home at 32564 East 750 Road, in the Taylor Ferry area near Fort Gibson Lake. Colbert said it appears the incident took place the night before.
“What we have is two victims and one gun,” Colbert said. “That’s pretty much it right now.”
Colbert said it appears Curtis Owens shot Kelly and then took his own life. Colbert and Investigator Dustin Dorr said they have no knowledge of any history of domestic incidents between the deceased.
“I’m not familiar with any type of domestic violence history between them,” Colbert said, adding that the shooting is a bit of a mystery. “I don’t know if we’ll ever know why what happened took place. There were no notes left behind or anything like that.”
Colbert said evidence had been collected at the house and was sent to a lab for inspection, but he didn’t know if it would help investigators discover what motivated the shooting.
“Whether it will help us or not, we won’t know until we get the results back,” Colbert said.
Colbert said the investigation into the shooting in ongoing.
Kelly Owens’ funeral is at 2 p.m. today at Mallett Funeral Home Chapel in Wagoner. Services for Curtis Owens are pending with Shipman Funeral Home and Crematory in Wagoner.
Reach Dylan Goforth at (918) 684-2903 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Sheriff: Looks like man shot woman, then self
By Dylan Goforth
- Local News
- Get ready for the Big One
- Experts seek to solve state quake puzzle
- Reducing drop-out rate is challenge for MPS
- Proposals seek to reduce power plant water pollution
- City faces suit by property owner
- Car show draws crowd for good cause
- Fort Gibson school gets $65,000 technology grant
- Fight for McIntosh County seat serious
- MLT seeks to provide theater opportunities to all
- MEETING — Muskogee Public Works and Finance committee
- More Local News Headlines