Phoenix Staff Reports
5A STATE — Fort Gibson’s Leslie White had the top qualifying time in the 100-yard breaststroke and on the boys side, Brandon Walker had the top qualifying time in the 100 freestyle in preliminaries Friday at the Class 5A state swim meet at Jenks.
Among other top qualifying efforts, White was also second in the 200 yard intermediate, Hali Martin was third in the 500 freestyle, Hannah Cantrell was second in the 50 freestyle and the Lady Tigers relays were second in the 200 freestyle relay, 400 freestyle and 200 medley. The boys 400 freestyle relay qualified third. Action continues with the finals today.
Boys — Regular season
TAHLEQUAH 71, CLAREMORE 37 — The Tigers (8-15, 5-7 Metro Lakes) outscored the Zebras 21-4 in the opening quarter and rolled to the win. Lain Wright and Will Carlisle had 19 and 13 points, respectively.
Girls — Regular season
TAHLEQUAH 57, CLAREMORE 50 — The Lady Tigers (14-9,9-3) won a Metro Lakes Conference game against the Lady Zebras (12-10, 9-3). Tahlequah was led by Whitney Wright with 21 points, Alyssa Hadley with 13 points and Randee O’Donnell with 10 points.
CLASS 2A AREA III DISTRICTS
• At Tulsa Rogers, both Warner clubs ended their seasons Friday. The Lady Eagles (9-14) lost to Summit Christian 52-36. Brandie Center was the lone Eagle in double figures with 15 points. Meanwhile, the Warner boys fell 36-33 and ended up at 13-10. Grey Denton’s 20 points led the Eagles.
• At Kiefer, the Okay Lady Mustangs (11-12) beat Foyil 49-31. Bristen Graves led with 16 points followed by Robin Hammer with 12 and Summer Milligan with 11. Okay plays Kiefer at 6:30 tonight for the district title. In boys play, Foyil ended Okay’s season with a 48-47 win.
CLASS 2A AREA IV DISTRICTS
• At Oktaha, both Gore teams ended their seasons with losses to Quinton. The Pirates fell 55-40, after trailing 24-9 at the half. Derrick Jestice had 15 points and Jake Johnson 14. The Lady Pirates fell behind 24-4 in the first half and lost to Quinton’s girls 44-16. Freddi Phillips had nine points to lead Gore. Quinton’s teams play Oktaha at 6:30 and 8 tonight, respectively.
• At Preston, Porter beat Crowder 78-56 in boys action and in girls, Crowder beat Porter 47-24. Porter’s girls season ends while the Pirates play Preston at 8 p.m. tonight for the district title.
CLASS 3A AREA III DISTRICTS
• At Stigler, the Eufaula Lady Ironheads beat Stigler 63-45. Leading at the half 31-24, the Lady Ironheads exploded in the fourth quarter outscoring the Lady Panthers 22-9. Alyssa Banks had 19 points and Newakis Banks had 18. Brook Hurst led Stigler with 15 points, followed by Nina Echelle with 12. Eufaula (17-6) moves on in the winner’s bracket against the Chelsea-Sperry winner at 6:30 p.m. in Sperry while Stigler (10-13) will play an elimination game at 1:30 p.m. Thursday against the Chelsea-Sperry loser. In boys action, Eufaula beat Stigler 61-31 as Forrest Paden had 16 points for the Ironheads, who will play the Chelsea-Sperry winner at 8 p.m. Thursday at Sperry. Stigler moves on to Thursday’s consolation round at 3 p.m. against the Chelsea-Sperry loser.
• At Westville, Vian (12-7) beat Westville 47-32 in girls action. Erica Casey and Desiree Moon had 11 points each. Vian plays the Verdigris-Newkirk winner at 6:30 p.m. Thursday at Verdigris. On the boys side, Vian lost in overtime 53-50 and will take a 7-12 record into an elimination game Thursday against the Verdigris-Newkirk loser at 3 p.m. in Verdigris. The Wolverines missed two game-winning shots in the final seconds of regulation. Eric Casey led Vian with 16 points with Shawn Troutman with 15 and Brett Hooper with 13.
CLASS 4A AREA IV DISTRICTS
• Both Wagoner teams dropped into the elimination bracket with losses at Muldrow. The Bulldogs (9-15) fell to Muldrow (15-8) 65-60. Lateze Clayton had 21 points and 8 rebounds for Wagoner. Kerwin Thomas had 15 points and Ya’Quoob King had 12 points and 11 rebounds. Wagoner plays the Hilldale-Inola loser at 3 p.m. Thursday at Wagoner, where the Lady Bulldogs (3-21) will also meet the Hilldale-Inola loser at 1:30 p.m. Thursday after dropping a 61-37 decision to Muldrow (19-5). Kelsi Emmons had 12 points, all in the first half.
• At Locust Grove, Checotah fell 83-72 in boys action and Locust Grove won the girls contest, though no score was available. Checotah’s teams drop into consolation play against the Byng-Seminole losers at 1:30 p.m. and 3 p.m. Thursday at Henryetta.
CLASS A AREA IV REGIONALS — In consolation semifinal games, Weleetka finished Porum’s season in girls play with a 48-42 win at Moss. Carly Anderson led Porum with 15 points as the Lady Panthers finish 12-12. Webbers Falls boys also exited with a 71-49 loss to Moss. The Warriors finish. at 13-13.